Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Christmas (Ornament) to Remember

It is a Christmas Tradition that every year my Grandma and Grandpa "R" give the grandkids Christmas Tree Ornaments. In fact, Grandpa picks them out. I’ve come to look forward to these often times outlandish, sometimes gaudy, always beautiful ornaments.

In the past, Blake and I have received Snowmen.


Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus.


Ice Cream.


But THIS year’s ornaments I will cherish the most. The Beloved Yorkie.


And Coffee Fanatic.


Each ornament has a story.

You may not think a Yorkie fringed in pink would be a suitable gift for a man of 27. You may not think a Yorkie is a manly enough dog for man of 27. But Blake doesn’t care. He loves our little, almost but not quite 5 pound, bundle of fur. Leave it to Grandma to ask him the tough questions and put him on the spot, “Blake, are you ever embarrassed to walk that little dog down the street?” Blake’s response was a simple, “No” but I think Grandma already knew the answer before asking. Blake doesn’t care much of what others think (in a good way) as long as he stays true to his morals and beliefs.

When the Des Moines Farmer’s Market rolls around each year, you will find Blake and I there. Rain or shine. We’re in line for our Breakfast Burrito and Java Joe’s Coffee. Towards the end of the season this year Grandma and Grandpa joined us. Of course we showed them the ropes and Java Joe’s was on the itinerary. Blake and I always get the usual. For Blake it’s a 20 oz Iced Mocha with whipped cream. For me? I like it stronger. A 12 oz Mocha with an extra shot of espresso. No whip please. Imagine a 12 oz cup filled with 3 delicious shots of espresso. Well, Grandma didn’t want to just imagine it. She wanted to try it for herself! At first I was a little apprehensive. “Are you sure, Grandma?” I asked. “That’s a lot of caffeine.” I should have known better. Of course she was sure. Bring it on. She drank and enjoyed the entire thing. She didn’t break out in sweats. She didn’t suffer from heart palpitations. Instead, she said, “It’s a little weak for my taste.” That’s Grandma for ya.

Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for the wonderful ornaments and of course the memories that will last a lifetime. Love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment