Friday, January 16, 2009

What's in a Name

So, I realize this probably should have been my first post...

I'm sure you all are sitting on the edge of your seats wondering how I came up w/ the name (title?) of my blog. Well, sit back and relax. You are about to find out.

There is an excerpt from the Bible that has always resonated w/ me:

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sow; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war; and a time of peace. - Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

To me, it is such a wonderful summary of life. Our lives are constantly changing and entering new "seasons." Some we have experienced before and others we have not. Some are easy and some are difficult. Some bring joy, love, laughter, and happiness. Others bring pain, heartache, tears, anger, and suffering. Through it all we are growing and learning new things. About ourselves, about others, about life. Shaping ourselves. It isn't always easy. There are times it is a struggle. But, I LOVE it. I cannot learn enough. Every year I marvel at how much I've learned and how my perspective on things has changed or grown stronger.

It is my intention that this will be a place I document some of my "seasons." Perhaps it will be about the seasons of winter, spring, summer, and fall. Training seasons of running, swimming, and biking. Reading. Cooking. Marriage. Travel. Life in my 20's, 30's, 40's... Children. Current events. Family. Retirement. Pets. Owning and Renovating a home. Whatever it is, I plan to make the most of it and perhaps share a little bit about it.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Reading the first sentence of the verse above prompted me to immediately switch over to iTunes and play "Turn! Turn! Turn!" by The Byrds while I read the rest of your post. The song in turn made me realize you left an important item off your list in the last paragraph. Music. I know that it is a big "thing" in your life, as it is in my life. And I for one always like to hear about the music that my friends are listening to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I have forgotten music?!?!?! Please know that was not intentional and that the list is in NO way all encompassing.

    P.S. That same song popped into my head while writing this post as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love that excerpt from the bible. It really makes you stop and think about life and how it really is out of our control and sometimes we just need to let go and let it happen (whatever "it" is). The verse also makes me think of Footloose when Wren McCormick is in front of the chruch make the pastor think about dancing and the prom. He slams the bible down and says "this is our time to DANCE!" Just had to throw that in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love ya, Rach :) I think you're fantastic! I gave you an award on my blog, you can visit to see it!!

    ReplyDelete