Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tim Tams Come to America

Just under 5 years ago, I enjoyed a month in the Land Down Under, Australia. I snorkeled and scuba dived on the Great Barrier Reef. Explored cities, towns, islands, caves, and culture all along the east cost.

I ate their food.

Vegemite? No.

Tim Tams? Yes.

Tim Tams are to Australians as I imagine Oreos are to Americans. In the middle of two rectangle shaped chocolate biscuits is a layer of chocolate deliciousness. But, it doesn't stop there my friends. Oh, no. The chocolate sandwich is also covered in chocolate. Drooling yet?


It's not just the cookie itself that is such a treat. It's the way you eat it. You bite off the ends of the cookies and use it as a straw to slurp up your milk. By the time you eat the cookie, it just melts in your mouth. Mmmmmm.

I brought two boxes back home w/ me. They lasted two weeks. Okay, okay. It was two days. So? Don't judge me!

I started to go through withdrawal. I searched the store shelves. I looked online. Surely they could ship them to me! I even contemplated buying a ticket BACK to Australia. But, it was to no avail. After awhile the headaches, nausea, vomiting, sweats, anxiety subsided and I was free from my Tim Tams addiction.

I hadn't thought of my beloved Tim Tams for several years. That was until a co-worker of mine told me he was going to Australia. I thought about asking him to bring me home a box. Or two or three.

It was that same night, while perusing the aisles of Target, a cookie display caught my eye. An entire end cap was dedicated to what I had once thought was lost to me forever. Tim Tams! I let out a whoop of joy, did a little dance, and quickly composed myself as I realized people were staring at the crazy woman in aisle 5 making a spectacle out of herself.

Now, they are not made by the same company and I don't know for sure if they are the same recipe. But I can still enjoy them with a glass of milk and I am at peace.

BTW, it's summer in Australia right now. Who cares if there have been shark attacks in recent weeks. I'd rather be there.

4 comments:

  1. yay, Rach is blogging!!! It's so addicting and fun :) And now I want a Tim Tam. Pretty sure' I'd be instantly addicted to those as well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another reason for me to go on vacation to Australia. Or Target.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Target would be cheaper...well, unless you happened to buy the entire display...which I may have contemplated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok - now I have to go to Target over lunch and see if I can find them. I hope Targets in AZ carry the same thing as IA!

    ReplyDelete